Monday, February 11, 2008

Blue...Blue!

The second project of our color mixing unit had us investigate beyond the mixing of primary colors. White, black, and gray tones were now to be added to a primary color of our choice, in order to achieve new hues, tints, shades, and tones beyond the basic color wheel. Though we were supposed to select the primary color we most disliked, I was not impartial to either three, and therefor chose blue, because it happened to be the color of my shirt that day. Blue was an interesting color to work with, because it is relatively darker than red and yellow, steering me to mix three times as many tints/tones as I did shades (9 step scale). In addition to the monochromatic scale, we were required to create an analogous scale and a complementary scale (the most difficult). Though it was tedious working with orange (complement of blue), the end result was fascinating to look at. The scale began blue, gradually transitioned into an olive green (the center), and finally changed into orange. It is not possible to witness such a gradual change in the natural world, which is why the project was worthwhile to me. Finally, there were several unexpected results on the analogous scale that displayed to me vibrant hues/tints of blue that I had thought were unachievable with the colors I chose.

No comments: